RESEARCH OF HEAVY METALS CONTENT IN MILK AS AN ELEMENT OF THE IMPLEMENTATION OF HACCP
Nataliia Buialska, Chernihiv National University of Technology (95 Shevchenka Str., 14027 Chernihiv, Ukraine)
Denisova Natalya, Chernihiv National University of Technology (95 Shevchenka Str., 14027 Chernihiv, Ukraine)
Kupchyk Olena, Chernihiv National Pedagogical University named after T. Shevchenko (53 Hetman Polubotka Str., 14013 Chernihiv, Ukraine)
Prus Tetyana, Chernihiv National University of Technology (95 Shevchenka Str., 14027 Chernihiv, Ukraine)
Urgency of the research. The unfavorable ecological situation existing in Ukraine negatively affects the quality and safety of agricultural products, including dairy products. Contaminated dairy products negatively affect human health, because it is milk that is a part of many recipes, especially of baby food.
Target setting. Determination of the heavy metals concentration in dairy products, taking into account their mutagenic, carcinogenic, teratogenic, embryo-, gonadotoxic impact, is necessary in the implementation of HACCP system (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point).
Actual scientific researches and issues analysis. The works of many scientists are devoted to the solution of issues related to the heavy metals monitoring in the environment, as well as the accumulation of heavy metals in feed, water, livestock products, and the development of the methods for their elimination.
Uninvestigated parts of general matters defining. Despite of numerous researches, in the literature there are no systematic information about the heavy metals content in dairy products and information about the risks associated with their consumption.
The research objective. The aim of the work was to determine the content of heavy metals (as one of the main chemical hazards during the implementation of HACCP system) in dairy samples and on the basis on the results obtained to analyze the risks caused by the entry of heavy metals.
The statement of basic materials. The heavy metals content in the samples of whole milk from different districts of the Chernigov region and in the samples of pasteurized milk of different manufacturers was determined by the method of voltammetric analysis. Current standards do not take into account the actual level of food products consumption, therefore the average daily dose of heavy metals and the individual risk of death during consumption contaminated milk was calculated according to the methodology proposed by the Harvard Institute for International Development.
Conclusions. A high hazard level is established for milk from the Menskiy district; relatively low – for the pasteurized milk of the manufacturer 1; for other samples – medium level. Measures to reduce the heavy metals content are proposed.
heavy metals, individual risk, food contamination, HACCP, voltammetric analysis
1. Romanov, L. (2000). Vazhki metaly v molotsi ta produktakh yoho pererobky [Heavy metals in milk and products of its processing]. Tvarynnytstvo Ukrainy – Livestock of Ukraine, no. 7–8, p. 19 (in Ukrainian).
2. Kravtsiv, R.Y., Butsiak, H.A. (2008). Sumisnyi vplyv vazhkykh metaliv na orhanizm tvaryn [The combined effect of heavy metals on animals]. Naukovyi visnyk LNUVMBT imeni S.Z. Hzhytskoho – Scientific messenger of LNUVMB named after S.Z. Gzhytstyj, vol. 10, no. 2 (37), pp. 3–8 (in Ukrainian).
3. Bogatko, N.M., Vlasenko, V.V., Bogatko, L.M., Salata, V.Z., Semaniuk, V.I. (2011). Osoblyvosti vprovadzhennia systemy NASSR na molokopererobnykh pidpryiemstvakh Ukrainy [Particular qualities in using hazard system on a ukrainian milk-processing enterprises]. Naukovyi visnyk LNUVMBT imeni S.Z. Hzhytskoho – Scientific messenger of LNUVMB named after S.Z. Gzhytstyj, Vol. 13, no. 4 (50), issue 4, pp. 171–176 (in Ukrainian).
4. НАССР: Analiz nebezpechnykh chynnykiv ta krytychni tochky kontroliu u vyrobnytstvi kharchovykh produktiv i prodovolchoi syrovyny: Navchalnyi posibnyk [Hazard analysis and critical control point of the control in production of food products and food raw materials: Textbook]. (2005). Kyiv: DP «UkrNDNTs» (in Ukrainian).
5. Buialska, N., Denisova N., Kupchik E. (2015). Problem of accumulation of heavy metals in medicinal plants. Canadian scientific journal, issue 2, pp.13–19.
6. Posibnyk dlia malykh ta serednikh pidpryiemstv molokopererobnoi haluzi z pidhotovky ta vprovadzhennia systemy upravlinnia bezpechnistiu kharchovykh produktiv na osnovi kontseptsii NASSR. Lokalni investytsii ta natsionalna konkurentospromozhnist [A manual for small and medium-sized enterprises of the milk processing industry on the preparation and implementation of a food safety management system based on the HACCP concept. Local investments and national competitiveness] (2010). Kyiv (in Ukrainian).
7. Vprovadzhennia system upravlinnia bezpechnistiu kharchovykh produktiv na ukrainskykh pidpryiemstvakh kharchovoi promyslovosti. Analiz vytrat i vyhod [Introduction of food safety management systems at Ukrainian food industry enterprises. Analysis of the cost and benefits]. Kyiv. Retrieved from: http://www.ifc.org/Ukraine/FS.
8. Kravtsiv, R.I. (2004). Produktyvnist ta obmin rechovyn u laktuiuchykh koriv za riznoho vmistu vazhkykh metaliv u ratsionakh [Productivity and metabolism in lactating cows at different level of heavy metals in rations]. Visnyk ahrarnoi nauky – Bulletin of Agricultural Science, no. 1, pp. 29–31 (in Ukrainian).
9. Tarasenko, L.O., Rud, V.I. (2014). Sanitarno-hihiienichna otsinka yakosti moloka ta molochnykh produktiv u zalezhnosti vid periodu laktatsii koriv ukrainskoi chervonoi molochnoi porody [Sanitary-hygienic assessment of the quality of milk and dairy products, depending on the period of lactation cows ukrainian red dairy breed]. Naukovo-tekhnichnyi biuleten Instytutu biolohii tvaryn i Derzhavnoho naukovo-doslidnoho kontrolnoho instytutu vetpreparativ ta kormovykh dobavok – The scientific and technical bulletin of the SCIVP of veterinary medical products and feed additives, issue 15, no. 2–3, pp. 179–182 (in Ukrainian).
10. Mediko-biologicheskie trebovaniia i sanitarnye normy kachestva prodovolstvennogo syria i pishchevykh produktov (Medyko-biolohichni vymohy ta sanitarni normy yakosti prodovolchoi syrovyny ta kharchovykh produktiv) [Medical and biological requirements and sanitary standards of quality of food raw materials and food products] (1989). MBT i SN 5061 from 01.08.1989, № 5061.
11. Bykov, A.A., Solenova, L.G., Zemlianaia, G.M., Furman, V.D. (1999). Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po analizu i upravleniiu riskom vozdeistviia na zdorove naseleniia vrednykh faktorov okruzhaiushchei sredy[Methodological recommendations on the analysis and management of the risk of influence of harmful environmental factors on the population’s health]. Moscow: Izdatelstvo ANKIL (in Russian).
12. Vaganov, P.A., Man-Sung Im. (2001). Ekologicheskie riski. Uchebnoe posobie. [Ecological risks. Textbook.]. Sankt-Peteburg: Izd-vo S.-Peterb un-ta (in Russian).
13. Zhuravleva, N.I., Bubnov, A.G., Grinevich, V.I. (2011). Ekologicheskii kontrol urovnia zagriazneniia svintsom i kadmiem miasa i moloka krupnogo rogatogo skota [Ecological control of the level of contamination with lead and cadmium of meat and milk of cattle]. Bezopasnost v tekhnosfere – Safety in technosphere, no. 3, pp. 13–19 (in Russian).